Poached Ballontine of Salmon with Herbs and Honey Pickled Vegetables
Our restaurant in Brecon uses only the freshest and highest quality local and seasonal produce to create each of our delicious dishes. Here is one of our chef team’s favourite recipes to try at home this summer.
This is a lovely summery starter for a dinner party or serves a larger portion for a light lunch with new potatoes or fresh bread. This could be made 3-4 days in advance. Serves 10 as a starter.
- 1 side of salmon – 1.2k sliced in half length ways, tail to head. Skin removed.
- Garden herbs- parsley, dill, chives, tarragon, roquette. About 200 g roughly chopped
- 1 sachet of gelatin – mixed with a little water
- Cut a large piece of clingfilm about 12 inches longer than the length of the salmon
- Brush gelatin over one side of salmon and sprinkle the herbs evenly.
- Place the salmon (herb side down) onto the cling film and roll tightly, tying each end.
- Gently poach the salmon in simmering water for 18 minutes.
- Place in a bowl of iced water and leave to chill.
- Put the rolled salmon into the fridge until you are ready to serve it. Will keep in the fridge for 3-4 days.
- When you are ready to serve, cut a 2″ section off the roll, remove the cling film, add some of the pickled vegetables(see below) and a dollop of mayonnaise.
Honey Pickled Vegetables (best made a couple of days in advance)
- Cauliflower – cut into small florets
- Carrots -cut into small batons
- Cucumber – cut into small cubes
- Red onion – cut into small cubes (he hasn’t given quantities for any of the veg!)
- 100 ml white wine vinegar
- 60 ml water
- 60 ml white wine
- 50 g runny honey
- salt and pepper to season
- Blanch the carrots and cauliflower for about 2 minutes in boiling water.
- Plunge immediately into iced water to refresh and then put in a large Kilner jar together with the other chopped vegetables.
- Whisk all of the liquid ingredients together and pour over the vegetables & season with salt and pepper.
- Seal the jar and leave to pickle for a couple of days.
This recipe is by Karl Cheetham, Head Chef at Gliffaes Hotel. Please don’t hesitate to call us on +44 (0)1874 730 371 if you need any guidance.
If you want to experience one of the finest restaurants in Brecon then reserve a table or book a stay at Gliffaes Country House Hotel today.
Book here for our best rates, or give us a call on 01874 730 371 to enquire.